HOURCAR Expands Along Green Line, Lake Street, in Northeast Minneapolis
HOURCAR, the Twin Cities local car sharing program, announces the coming completion of a significant fleet expansion. The expansion, begun in June 2013, increases the number of vehicles in HOURCAR’s fleet to 73 and significantly expands the number of neighborhoods served. New locations will open June 20, 2014.
HOURCAR’s expansion this month will increase its presence in three areas:
1. Green Line light rail line: HOURCAR already serves locations along the Green Line light rail route, with hubs in both downtowns, at the University of Minnesota, and near the stations at Raymond and Fairview Avenues. HOURCAR will place new locations at multiple stops along the route:
• West Bank, at Seven Corners Apartments (1400 2nd Street South, Minneapolis)
• Prospect Park, near 29th Avenue SE & University Avenue SE
• Snelling Avenue, at Spruce Tree Centre (1600 University Avenue, Saint Paul)
• Near the Hamline Avenue Station (exact location to be announced)
• Lexington Avenue, at the former Saint Paul Public Library building (1080 University Avenue, Saint Paul)
• Dale Street, at Frogtown Square (500 Dale Street North, Saint Paul)
2. Lake Street Corridor: HOURCAR will increase its coverage of the Lake Street corridor. New locations at Lake Street & Bloomington Avenue (at Plaza Verde, 1516 Lake Street East) and near Lake Street & Hiawatha Avenue will complement existing locations along Lake Street at the Midtown Global Market and at Lyndale and Hennepin Avenues.
3. Northeast Minneapolis: This expansion substantially increases HOURCAR’s reach in to Northeast Minneapolis with new locations at the Eastside Food Co-op (2535 Central Avenue Northeast) and in Windom Park at the offices of the NE Home Group (at 1955 Johnson Street Northeast).
In addition, HOURCAR will place a hub at Nicollet Avenue & 27th Street in Minneapolis, increasing fleet coverage in the Whittier neighborhood.
HOURCAR’s expansion is made possible by grants from the McKnight Foundation and the Central Corridor Funders Collaborative, along with the support of organizations that host HOURCAR hubs. HOURCAR thanks the Neighborhood Development Center, Eastside Food Co-op, NE Home Group, Saint Paul Public Library, Spruce Tree Centre, Seven Corners Apartments, and First & First for hosting new locations opening this month.